The department of Geography was started in the year 1975. The subject is being taught as one of the optional subject for B.A. course and first semester B.Com course.
It is a one of the major subject in humanities (Arts Combination) and offered in HEG and HSG combinations. This is the only subject in Arts which has theoretical and practical based curriculum. The department of Geography bringout almost cent percent result every year. The department has well equipped Laboratory, Teaching aids, Maps, Demonstration sets and Instruments for better understanding of the subject. It attracts more number of students every year due to its academic performance.
- Geography is an optional subject for BA and B.Com. (I Sem)
- It is offered in HEG & HSG combinations for BA course
- It has both theory & practical based curriculum
- Department has Well equipped lab, maps ,survey instruments and other teaching aids
- Good academic performance with almost cent percent result
DEPARTMENT OF GEOGRAPY
Programme Specific Outcomes of Geography
- Concept of Fundamental of Geography
- Serve as conservator in forest, Soil, Agro, Departments.
- Work in disaster and water resources management.
- Serve in forest department as forest conservator.
- Serve in cartographer in map making divisions of Government.
- To Prepare for Competitive exams.
- Study the landforms, Geomorphology ,and agents of Denudation
- Work in GIS, ISRO
- To learn the concept of land scape and costal lines
- To serve in Town planning officer to serve in survey Department
Physical Geography I
Know the internal structure of the earth know the importance of longitudes & latitudes International Date line and Standard time
- Understand interior structure of the earth
Understand the work of internal and external forces and their associated landforms.
Understand the composition of atmosphere
Know the Measurement of Atmospheric Pressure and formation of Pressure Belts
- Understand the types of winds
Practical Paper 1: Maps, Scale & Metrological Instruments.
- Understand the different types of Maps.
- Knowledge about Relief features.(pictorial, mathematical & composite methods
- Understand the socio economic condition of the villages.
- To be understand the functions & uses of Meteorological Instruments.
Paper II – Human Geography
- Understand the relationship of man and environment , Environmental Determinism , possibilism , probabalism
- Studies of contribution of Germens, French , Americans
- Understand the modes of life of eskimo, pigmys, kirgeeze
- Explain the Hager Strand Theory of Diffusion
- Get knowledge about Cultural Realms of the world.
- Get knowledge of population compositions .
Practical Paper 2 : Map Projections
- Understand the different types of Map projection.
- Get Knowledge about making projections
Paper III Regional Geography of the world
Understand the location Physiographic, Drainage, Climate, and Vegetation of World
To know the silent feature, problems and prospects of Agriculture.
TO know the Natural Regions the World classification
Study the Mineral and power Recourses, -production and distribution of Iron etc.
- Study the Transportation and Hoover’s transport cost theory
Practical Paper 3 : Cartograms, and Distribution Maps
- Understand the uses of Cartograms in Geography.
- Get Knowledge about Line Graphs, Bar Graphs, Etc
- Understand the Distribution of Maps.
Paper IV – Regional Geography of India – I
Understand the location Physiographic, Drainage, Climate, and Vegetation of India
- To know the silent feature, problems and prospects of irrigation and Agriculture.
To Know about the mineral and power resources
- Study the Population Composition India and transportation net work, tourism
Practical Paper 4 : Basic Statistics
- Understand the meaning, importance, limitations of Statistics.
- Get Knowledge about mean, median, mode
- Understand the Time series Analysis, Index Numbers Etc.
Paper V Regional Geography of India – II
- Understand the location Physiographic, Drainage, Climate, and Vegetation of India
- To know the silent feature, problems and prospects of Agriculture.
- Study the Problems And Prospect of Industrial Area.
- Population Composition India.
Paper VI Regional Geography of Karnataka (choice paper)
- Understand the location Physiographic, Drainage, Climate and Vegetation of Karnataka
- To know salient feature, problems and prospects of Agriculture
- Study the problems and prospects of Industries
- Population Composition Karnataka
Practical Paper 5 : Interpretation of Toposheet , weather reports, and Cartograms .
- Introduce the student of Toposheet, weather map.
- Understand the mechanism function of topographical maps.
- Understand interpretation if weather images.
Paper VI Environmental Geography (choice paper)
- Understand Structure, Components of Atmosphere.
- Study about Nutrient cycling.
- Acquire knowledge about biodiversity.
- Understand the value of Resource
- Understand environmental problems there Cause, Effect and Remedies.
- Get knowledge about environmental hazards and management.
- Make aware about conservation of resources.
- Understand the various environmental protection acts.
Paper VI Economic Geography of the world (choice paper II)
- Study the Human Economic Activities
- Explain the Weber theory
- Understand the mineral and power resources
- Study of the distribution of engineering, cotton sugar Industries in India
- Study Of India’s foreign tread
Practical paper 6 – GIS & Surveying
- Understand the History of GIS
- Know Arial Photographs and Satellite Imageries
- Acquire Knowledge about Indian Remote sensing.
- Investigate components and function of GIS
- Study GIS Data models.
- Introduce GPS and Its Functions.
- Understand the different surviving techniques.
- Knowledge about preparation of layout.
- Understand the socio economic condition of the villages.
- Acquire knowledge of preparation of drawing of profile.
- Get knowledge about Geo Statistical Methods.